Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Message from Monsignor Ken, Rector, Holy Trinity Cathedral, Kingston, Jamaica -- Reflections on Mercy and God's Almighty Power

Mercy Flows From God’s Almighty Power

Synopsis of Sunday’s Homily (31 October 2010)

by Msgr. Kenneth D. Richards, Rector, Holy Trinity Cathedral, Kingston, Jamaica


Who am I? I am created in the image and likeness of God. God is love. God created me with love. God created me, subject of His love. God created me to love… to love Him, to love self and to love others. When I fail to love God by my disobedience, a distortion (sin) arises in my relationship with God. This leads to a distortion of self love and a distortion in my love for my fellowman.


God, all powerful, seeks not to destroy me because of my distortion – sin. Rather, the Lord seeks to remove the distortion because He loves me.


In the book of Wisdom 11:23—12:2 we read: Yet you are merciful to all, because you are almighty, you overlook people’s sins, so that they can repent. Yes, you love everything that exists, and nothing that you have made disgusts you, since, if you had hated something, you would not have made it. And how could a thing subsist, had you not willed it? Or how be preserved, if not called forth by you? For your imperishable spirit is in everything! And thus, gradually, you correct those who offend; you admonish and remind them of how they have sinned, so that they may abstain from evil and trust in you. Lord.


When Zacchaeus repented because he experienced mercy, Jesus says: Today salvation has come to this house… for the Son of man has come to seek out and save what was lost (Luke 19:9-10).


Like Zacchaeus, may each one make a favourable and practical response to the saving mercy of God who loves us!


Peace,
Msgr. Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment